Friday, September 17, 2010

Rosalyn Update...

Well, it has been waaaaay too long since I devoted an "update" post just to Rosalyn...my little princess, my first babygirl, the angel who made me a mommy 3 years ago. So here it is!

She went to the doctor this month for her 3 year old check-up. Her pediatrician said she was "a perfect three year old" and was impressed with her language. Anyone who knows her can attest to the fact that she is motor mouth :)

She is 37 inches tall (39%) and 34.5 lb (83%). Her head is 20 inches which is "off the charts." She is a solid chunk, but her BMI is within the healthy range. She will be wearing 4T clothes this fall...her 3T summer clothes are getting snug.

She is totally, completely daytime and nightime potty trained...I can't remember the last time she had an accident. I am so glad to be pull-up free! She has been daytime trained since about March and nighttime trained since July.

One of my biggest worries with her proved to be no big deal...She gave up her beloved paci totally on her own, "cold turkey" style. About a week before her birthday, she just told me she was going to throw it away...I didn't believe her but she did it and never really looked back. It was just like that...she slept with it the night before in her mouth and then decided to just toss it the next day! I am so glad because now I have no worries about C and E's paci habits. The pediatric dentist had already assured me that the paci was no big deal and that she would probably do exactly what she did, but I guess I didn't believe him.

She has given up naps entirely (actually she has been nap free since about February). She will occasionally fall asleep for a few minutes in the afternoon if she gets still and quiet. She sleeps about 12 hours at night and is usually in bed asleep at about 7 pm.

She can count out loud to 20, count actual objects by herself, recognize numbers, recognize letters and some letter sounds, and knows all her colors/shapes. It has been amazing to me to see her gather this knowledge with very little "help" from me...we occasionally do letter flashcards but that is it...all the rest is learned from playing/reading (which I think is best). She can sing lots of songs and has several books memorized word-for-word. Her very favorite book to recite is "The Very Hungry Caterpillar." Her favorite things to play are blocks, dress-up, and babies (you would think she would have abandoned playing babies since she gets plenty of the real thing!). She has become extremely imaginative and into pretending/role-play. She LOVES art projects...she paints nearly every single day and is learning to cut/paste. She also loves to put on a "music show" as she calls it which entails getting all her instruments and performing for an audience of 3...me, Caroline, and Elaina :)

She has such a bubbly, sweet, social personality and quite a flair for drama. She recently spent an hour sobbing because she doesn't have blue eyes...I could not convince her how great hazel eyes are! She finally moved past it only to have the whole episode triggered again when she pulled out her (blue) blocks to build a castle! Also, she was recently in my bed early the in morning when I heard her whispering loudly "MOMMA! Roger (our cat) is twyin' to kill me!" She was very insistent that the (extremely gentle) cat was indeed trying to murder her that very moment...I turned over to inspect and he was just pawing her chest in an attempt to make her pet him! A few nights ago, she called me to her room after bedtime and was upset. She told me "I hope you just get rid of dat jeep I got for my birfday." When I asked her why (because she did LOVE it just hours before), she informed me "I think it might just ride me right out in dat road and take me far away from my mommy and daddy." She fell in love with her jeep again once I reassured her that it was not possible for the Barbie Jeep she got from Nana and Pop to take her away from me!

A few of her favorites: anything she thinks is "scary"--she LOVES to talk about monsters, pb&j, reading books, painting, jewelry, Dora, Lady GaGa songs (I do not endorse this, but if she hears one on the radio she screams to listen to it!), wearing make-up (just chapstick!), watching Olivia, getting Starbucks with mommy, going to school/church/MOPS--anywhere that she can see her "fwends."

If she sees someone upset, she is usually the first to try to hug them or make them laugh. She is extremely loving and very emotionally "in tune." She easily detects the feelings of others. She is learning more about the little girl that Jesus wants her to be and it has been really neat to hear her talk about Jesus. For example, she is very possessive of the seat at the end of our couch...she will quickly tell anyone that it is HER seat and ask them to move if she feels so inclined. Well, today Jason's grandparents were coming over so I had a talk with her ahead of time about letting Papaw have her seat because it is the easiest for him to get in and out of...she looked at me and said in a slightly exasperated tone "Jesus says to serve others." It was funny to hear her say that, but I was impressed that she said that since I had not even mentioned Jesus. It was a GREAT teaching time also and a real lesson for her on serving others.

She is very sweet and helpful with the babies. She loves to play with them and talks so sweetly to them when they are upset. She enjoys being the "paci helper" or the "diaper fixer." She is also a bit naughty with them at times, but what can I expect from a three year old! One day I left her with them for a few minutes and I came back to find them corralled in a corner and barricaded off...she quickly informed that they were her "pets" and she had put them in their "cage"...they looked mildly amused and didn't seem to mind too much so I let the game continue. Another favorite activity of hers is to pile tons of blankets and burp rags on top of them as they sit in their bouncers...they also don't mind this too much and she thinks it is hysterically funny! She is so happy that they can now sometimes take a bath with her...she loves to help wash their hair (but refuses to have her own washed). All in all, she adores Caroline and Elaina and the feeling is definitely mutual--they watch her with eager anticipation of what she will do next. For Caroline especially, all Rosalyn has to do is look at her and she will just begin laughing and squealing!

She has been doing more "chores" at home also...some things I let her be in charge of: putting away silverware from the dishwasher, folding washcloths, wiping off the table and chairs with a baby wipe, bringing items to/from the refrigerator & pantry when I cook, and picking up her toys. All these things are good activities for her (sorting, matching, fine motor/gross motor, exercise, etc). She is really a great little helper and LOVES to have a job (I hope this attitude is still there when she is 13...HA!).

She can quite sassy to me at time, but we are working on it. Sometimes it is SO hard not to laugh because she sounds so funny but I know I have to be firm with her now so I do try my best to stay consistant. Since she can be a bit strong willed, I do believe strongly in picking my battles with her. I let little things slide if they don't matter (for instance she insisted on wearing her Santa Claus bow to school last week with a Hawaiian print sundress, but I let her!). Her daddy is a little softer than me. :)

I love her so much and I am so proud of her...she is the perfect little girl for me--she is everything I ever wanted and prayed for years ago :) She is full of spunk and sass with just enough sweetness to balance it out!

Here are her recent pictures....

Walking onto the porch for her birthday party...
She was so surprised!!
Her beautiful Dora cake (thanks Barbie!!)...
Riding in her Barbie Jeep...she loves it!
Her cake on her "real birthday"...
Blowing out the candle...
This girl loves cake!!
Sad birthday girl after getting a shot :(
She snuck into the pantry and got the sprinkles out!
Swimming...
First day of school...she is going to "Children's Day Out" at a local church on Mondays and Wednesdays from 8:30-2...she LOVES it!
Pictures from our baby dedication..we had Rosalyn, Caroline, and Elaina dedicated at church...it was very special to do all three of our sweeties at the same time!
The very first picture we have of all five of us together...sad I know!
Getting ready for her first ballet class...she was SO excited!!

Waiting anxiously with BFF Kaylin...
This is what happened when Nana left Rosalyn alone for a while with paint...She told my mom "I am a veeewy messy ah-tist, Nana." We can tell. Honestly, I don't mind too much because she truly loves art and as long as the products are Crayola (a rule in my house!) they are extremely washable!

Hope you enjoyed this update on my sweet, beautiful girl...she brings me such joy and happiness...the smile on my face is often because of something she said or did!

3 comments:

  1. I just finished reading the post! Loved it! Brooklyn has been asking for "Woslyn" consistently. It is so cute! I explain that she lives down where Grammie and PaPaw and Aunt LeLe do, and she seems to sorta/kinda get it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love to hear about my angel baby! can't wait to see my sweet baby kelly girls-- hopefully soon! :) love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have been sooooo behind on my blog reading! this is a great testimony to what a great mommy the Lord has grown you into! as a preschool teacher, i really appreciate your recognition of the skills each of her activities are developing, and that you let her make huge messes for the sake of being a curious and ever-learning little girl. It makes me excited about my own little one to read about how ros is learning about what Jesus would have her do, and how her heart is truly aimed at giving Him glory in her actions! Praising God with you for this dear life :) wish i could meet her before we leave the state!

    ReplyDelete